Monday, September 6, 2010

Reversible Halloween Tote


Two bags for the price of one! One of my favorites parts of sewing is choosing which fabrics I'll use for a project, making sure the combination is interesting and pleasing to the eye. For this bag I got to use a sparkly skull fabric that would be terribly menacing were it not for the liberal use of glitter. While I personally prefer to keep my weirdness on the inside, I feel bad relegating some of my kookiest and spookiest fabrics to the inside lining of my bags. With this bag I can pretend to be nice and normal by flipping the bag one way and show off my skull-loving side simply by reversing it.


I've been looking for a good pattern to showcase some of my fabrics that have large prints. This one's just a few pieces sewn together into a wonderfully large tote that can accommodate all of the goodies I carry around. I got creative and made a lot of adjustments to One Yard Wonder's "Collapsible Shopping Tote." Basically I lopped a few inches off of the bottom, rounded out the corners, interfaced the entire thing, added a second layer, and sewed a ribbon tie closure to the top center. I'm really happy with the result, which is a big but not unwieldy bag. The measurements of the finished bag are 16" wide across the bottom and 18.5" from the top of the handles to the bottom of the bag.

To show off a little of my weird side, I appliqued a small skull panel on the "normal" side of the bag. Gotta have a dash of that Sourkraut flair in there even if I'm trying to be subtle about it.


Two Halloween bags down, one to go. I'm hoping to finish the last one up this week. Love this time of year!





11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm loving these bags.

janimal said...

Love that bag. Love it! Very very cool. Found you from Blue Cricket Design.

Raquel from J.C. said...

Great bag! I'm not a big fan of halloween, but you have inspired me. I also found you on Blue Cricket.

Katie said...

Again, cute bag and I must say I LOVE your hair cut. It is so cute.

Susie Buetow said...

Great idea! Love it. Thanks for stopping by on the Friday Blog Hop! I love meeting new bloggers and being reminded to stop at others i've visited!!!

Have A Happy Weekend!!!! susie

Ashlee Marie said...

It's just lovely! I need a big bag myself, a reversible bag would be perfect! Thanks for linking up to Topsy Turvy Tuesday's!

Lori@Paisley Passions said...

LOVE this one too! Thanks for sharing :)

Laura @ House of Thrifty Decor said...

Thanks for stopping by my Show Off Sunday Party. I look forward to seeing you next Sunday!!

http://houseofthriftydecor.blogspot.com/2010/09/show-off-sunday-party.html

Inspiring You To Save! said...

Very cute! Visiting from the Blog Hops! Stop by when you get the chance. I have a Meet Me Monday blog hop and a Wandering Wednesday blop hop and I would love if you could join in.

http://www.inspiringyou2save.com

Jami said...

I love the style of this bags. You could make it in any combination! Thanks again for linking up! :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for all the wonderful halloween projects you linked to my party this past weekend! They are all so incredible! You've got tons of talent and are welcome back anytime!

Krista