Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Bat Shadowbow Collage


Although it's an old post, when I recently saw Ali Edward's butterfly punch collage I immediately saw the possibilities for a creepier version for my home. Seems that Tatertots and Jello had the same idea for a series of three Halloween-themed collages and I happened to check blogger right before leaving for a trip to Michaels last night. Once I saw what she'd done and saw her helpful tutorial, I added a few extra items to my shopping list.

Irritatingly, the exact same frame she used was $1 more at our Michaels. I guess that's the price one pays for the privilege of living and shopping in glorious New Jersey, eh? As all of their frames were conveniently 50% off, I instead opted for a deep shadowbox that was also $5. I like having the option of standing it up on a dresser or tabletop since there isn't much available wall space in the house. I also splurged on Martha Stewart's bat punch, which was still $8 at 20% off. I'm sure I'll use it again so I can sort of justify that purchase. Perhaps one day I'll be lucky enough to own a Cricut or Silhouette Craft Cutter but until I find a spare $300+ I'll have to find other options.




To save money, I printed out my own funky designs to punch the bats out of. The background is some Martha Stewart scrapbook paper I got last year at a post-Halloween sale. I did have to go back and spend more to get small double-sided adhesive foam squares because I wanted a little height on my bats. Again, they were more than I wanted to spend but at least they were on sale too.


To make sure everything was spaced and lined up properly, I printed out a table made in Word to the same dimensions as my frame (5" x 7"), laid it on top of the background, and stuck pins through at each cross point. They left a clear mark once removed so I knew exactly where to stick my bats. Folded the bat wings a bit to make them look mid-flight and I was done!


This was a fun one to plan and even more fun to put together. I whipped it up in an evening and now have the perfect custom-made art for our spooky house!


BWS tips button

25 comments:

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate said...

Oh this is so wonderful! You did an amazing job!

Danielle Leal said...

So awesome! You did great!
I would totally die for a silhouette!!! It would be so wonderful to have. Maybe I can talk the hubs into getting me one for Christmas! haha

Unknown said...

Such a cute idea :) love this. Saw you on Paisley Passions!

Rebecca said...

What a cool idea-I just love halloween and this is really fun!

Melissa said...

So cute! I especially love your printed paper.

Diane Bohn said...

Those are awesome! Kind of spooky! ;) Thanks for sharing at Paisley Passions! P.s. Ich liebe your blog title! (Do you speak German then?)
Following along, and I hope you have a great day!

Unknown said...

Im so in love with this!

Unknown said...

So spooooky, I love it!

I hope you'll link up to Scraptastic Saturday later tonight (if you want of course)!

Hannah @ http://youngancrafty.blogspot.com/

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

This is a really great concept! Love the paper you used!

Mandi @ Vintage Revivals said...

This turned out so WONDERFUL!! This is fo sho going on my to do list!!

love your guts
mandi

Fonda @Southern Scraps said...

Great job! I'm looking for the punch so I can make my own.

Colleen { HappyLittleArt } said...

So Fun! I just may have to make one myself!!!

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for stopping by and linking up!

Hannah @ http://youngancrafty.blogspot.com/

Bella @ Bella before and after said...

This is really cute, perfect for this time of year. Your blog is really cute too, I love sourkraut, so I guess I love you, lol. I didn't notice much german food on your blog, do you cook german food? I would love some great recipes, Im ROmanian, and we eat some of your yummy stuff, well at least similar. I would love for you to come and link up to my weekly party when you get a chance, its new, and I would love all the support. Thanks Bella :)

Unknown said...

I love this! What a great way to creep up your house for Halloween!

Anji* said...

Awesome! I love this!

Jenn Seratt said...

What a great take on this project. I love the use of the book pages for the bats. Would you consider linking this up to my next Sunday Art Therapy link party? I also have a Flickr group. You'd make a great addition!

Lori@Paisley Passions said...

LOVE this idea :) Thanks SO much for joining in on Thrilling Thursdays @ Paisley Passions. I hope to see you again this week :)
~Lori S.
Thrilling Thursdays @Paisley Passions

Bella @ Bella before and after said...

Yayyy, I loved this, so thanks so much for sharing it with everyone over at **6 weeks 2 Spook** my special party, he he. Glad you came by, and can't wait to see more of you, Bella :)

Anna K said...

I just found your blog (link to a link to a link) and I am loving your creative spirit and projects.
I have you bookmarked as a favorite.

I am too cheap to buy those adhesive 3D squares so I use fun foam sheets purchased at the dollar store (3 sheets for a buck, various colors). Then I cut it out to whatever shape I need and use a glue stick. It works awesome.

Anonymous said...

LOVE it!

Jami said...

Ummm. You are very talented. I hope you know that. I love the design elements in this. The Halloween part is just gravy. :)

Anonymous said...

I love your version! Thanks for linking up to my Halloween Party!

- Megan
www.polishthestars.com

FrouFrouBritches said...

Alright, this is my favorite. I love it! I've seen the butterfly kind, but never bats. Brilliant!

Anonymous said...

I'm going to have to try this. It's so neat! Thanks for linking these too!

Krista