Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A Photo A Day [Day 16]

Day 16 - Working Out

I'm having a hard time coming up with anything remotely interesting for this theme. Not faulting the theme but rather myself here. I think I'm just not thinking outside of the box on this one. I poked around online for inspiration and aside from the numerous photos of toilets and men in showers I now need to erase from my mind I didn't find much that helped. The only bright spot was when I stumbled across this photo of Darth Vader having his morning coffee. You know you're dying to check that one out.

If this week's photos bore you I will understand. That's all I'm trying to say. I can never be as creative and kooky as that photographer.

Today you get to see my elaborate workout setup. In the interest of revealing way too much information I'll tell you my little tale of woe: I used to weigh something like 230 pounds. Now I don't. It's a miracle! Or the result of big changes in diet and a lot of exercise. It'd be nice if I could say I have the sort of metabolism that allows me to maintain that without exercising but the truth is I'd balloon back up if I didn't. I know I'd make the effort and work out even if weight weren't a factor as there's a history of heart disease in my family, but it'd be nice if I could go a few days without working out now and then. But I can't. Six to seven days a week you'll find me doing some sort of exercise. Definitely a big part of my daily routine!

One way I keep myself entertained and distracted from the grueling misery is watching some of my favorite shows while I exercise. My favorite shows happen to be British, and while BBC America is occasionally useful in airing some of those they're typically a few months or even years behind the UK. I have to resort to downloading a lot of what I watch because it's just not available here. I guess they think we're not ready for that level of culture and sophistication. So here you see one of our laptops hooked up to the TV, ready to transmit "The IT Crowd" for my viewing pleasure. The other laptop, while old and slow, is necessary to play my exercise DVD. Yes, I know it seems like a lot of work to hook everything up like this but I figure if my goal is to burn calories I can afford to make a little extra effort. The slave driver/exercise instructor you see on the screen would surely approve of my suffering.

And before you say it, I do know I'm a spoiled dork to have two laptops and access to downloaded British shows.

Participating in Positively Positive's A Photo A Day Project
This week's theme: "Routine"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the weight loss and keeping it off. My torture of choice is the elliptical trainer because I can read when I'm doing it.

American television does, by and large, suck. I record the few that I like and rely heavily on Netflix for the most part.

I just found your blog through Shannon's Tuesdays and am enjoying it--put it on my Google reader!

Ladii said...

lol Im a procrastinator i say im going to the gym and if im in the mood 3 am ill go lol or say its too late and go to sleep lol yes i know im lazy.. i think ive gained some weight damn it but there is no scale so we will pretend i lost some =D

Danielle Leal said...

I am finding it hard to find creative ways to keep to the theme. Maybe I should have thought more about it. haha.

Congratulations on the weight loss! I am desperately trying to lose weight also. And I am trying to get on top of this hyperinsulinemia before it turns to diabetes. Eek! But I'm often to tired by the end of the night to head to the gym. And I hate going in the AM because that's when all the elderly are using the gym.
Yeah I'm too picky. haha.