A Halloween bag? For me?
This is the first of a series of three Halloween-y bags I had planned to make this weekend. So far I've only completed two but I'm too eager to show them off to wait for the trio to be done. Weirdly, my husband not only wanted to spend time with me this weekend (I know, surprising, right?) but he was also willing to leave the house. Once I got over the shock I figured I'd take advantage of that so my sewing schedule got a bit behind.
This first one's all for me and I've had the fabric picked out for months looking for just the right pattern to use. Finally found a cute little tote pattern I thought would highlight it best. I made a few changes including interfacing the outer fabric, which is the slightly eerie-looking Ikea Saralisa fabric. The inner skull fabric is one of my favorites currently offered at Jo-Ann Fabrics, not only because of the cute but not too cutesy pattern but also because of the price tag. At only $5/yard I was able to snap up several yards the last time I had a 50% off coupon for an even better $2.50/yard. It is a little flimsy but I think it'll hold up just fine with the interfacing and thick Ikea fabric to back it up.
I also sewed on some of this fantastic ribbon for sale at A.C. Moore for only $1 a spool. Needless to say, after seeing how neat it looks here I went back and bought a few more spools for future projects.
I'm definitely recommending this pattern because it's near perfect as written. The bag's a little smaller than what I usually carry, but there's a time and place for a smaller bag like this. I did add a magnetic clasp for a little more security, lengthened the straps (to about 23"), and fidgeted about with the bottom pleats to make it match the bag in the photo but otherwise it was smooth sailing.