Tuesday, September 14, 2010

"Ghastly" Reversible Tote

Will someone please iron this for me? The bag, not the cat.

I may have lied last week both when I said I'd have my third Halloween bag done that same week and when I said my first reversible tote would be for me. The more I look at it, the more I realize that sparkles + skulls is just not me. I'm not a sparkly kind of gal. I made the bag to try out the new pattern and to use up some fabrics taking up space in my closet, and while the fabrics work perfectly together they don't work with me. It's a great bag but I think I'll put it into storage for my future/hypothetical/potential Etsy store. That said, it's the perfect style of bag for me so I've decided to custom design one just for me.

Seems like the perfect chance to use up some of that Alexander Henry Ghastlies fabric I've been stockpiling. It's a big print so in order to show as much of it off as possible I needed to use a big pattern. The other fabric is actually a window curtain panel from Kmart, which I got on sale because one of my local stores is going out of business. I had a bad customer service experience there so they are currently on "the list." You know the one. The list you keep of people and stores who have slighted you. Surely I'm not the only one who holds grudges! Anyway, I doubt I'll be shopping there again but it won't hurt my feelings too much if you do. It is a really pretty fabric, after all, and quite a deal if you can find it on sale. I've got lots left over for future projects.


I made this one just like the other reversible tote except left off the ribbon closure because I know myself well enough to predict I wouldn't ever bother to tie it. Didn't have this problem last time but I had a devil of a time getting the straps to match up length-wise, probably because the curtain fabric was slippery so I may not have cut it perfectly in the first place. Eventually got it to all come together and I'm super duper happy about this new bag. I'll have a hard time choosing which side to show first!







BWS tips button

18 comments:

Unknown said...

i am dying over that fabric. love it!!!

amy, hannah, and ellie said...

I love this fabric! Funny thing- I just linked up next to you at Blue Cricket with my apron made from this fabric! Ha!
Super cute job with the tote- perfect for October! : )
Hope you will come visit at http://apronsandart.blogspot.com/2010/09/which-witch.html
Amy

Susie Buetow said...

These are adorable! My teens would love them! So when are you setting up that ETSY store? lol

Kara said...

Oh my goodness...I love this!! So cute and so versatile! Great job!!

ArtfullyJune said...

Cute bag. Great for Halloween.

Morgane @ Bear,Dolly and Moi said...

Your bag is really cool, and the fabric is so perfect!
I enjoyed reading your "about me", there is a similar saying in French too "une aiguillee de paresseuse"!

laylablue said...

at first, i thought (by the shape of the purse) you had sewn baby bibs! now wouldn't that be cool? spooky baby gear. get on that right away, would ya?

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

I agree with laylablue! That would be great!

Anonymous said...

LOVE the fabric!!!

Unknown said...

Brilliant functional and darling, well done. Jen

Amie {Kitty Cats and Airplanes} said...

The fabric you chose is amazing, I love it! I could think of a million things I'd want to do with that fabric but I think I like your idea best. :) Excellent work, thanks for sharing your talent!

Amie @ http://kittycatsandairplanes.blogspot.com/

Kristy said...

I love the fabric. It is really cute.

Lori@Paisley Passions said...

Darling fabric choices! They look great. Thanks for linking up to Thrilling Thursday.

Bella @ Bella before and after said...

So cute, I adore that fabric. Thank you again for linking up to my new party **6 weeks 2 Spook** already loving everything on there, and can't wait to see more, so keep it coming girl! Thanks, Bella :)

Molly {Eeny Meeny & Moe} said...

Thanks for linking this up! I love that it's reversible - and that fabric is super cool too!

Sawdust Girl said...

That fabric is too funny.
And no, you're not the only grudge holder. I shopped at one grocery store when I first moved into the area and have not been back in the entire 5 years I've lived here just because I didn't like my interaction with the cashier. Now that might just be petty. I do get off subject. Love the bag, thanks for linking up!

Jami said...

I am a grudge holder too. Recently, I went in to a grocery store that offended me YEARS ago and my son said "I thought you said you'd NEVER shop here again!" I cracked up...then we talked about second chances. :)

Sparky said...

I will if you join me on a ghastlie blog hop...mdm samm yes me ..come on over..