Thursday, September 23, 2010

Halloween Candles


Needed something simple and quick to do since I've been struck down with another cold, my second in a month. That's got to be a record for me. I don't have the energy or concentration to attempt anything too in depth so I searched through my bookmarked projects until I found something ideal. Landed upon an easy way to make custom-designed candles and knew I'd found my match.

You can add this one to the list of cheap Halloween projects with great results. I picked up some card stock and a package of small white candles (light-colored candles are key with this project) on clearance at Target for $0.74, some white tissue paper from a dollar store, and grabbed some nifty free Halloween images from Graphics Fairy. I followed the handy dandy tutorial at Ador and it really worked! The only trouble I had was feeding the tissue paper-covered card stock through my printer as it kept trying to grab the tissue paper alone. I had to wrap the tissue paper around three sides, tape it down securely, and nudge it through the feeder as it started to print. Other than that it went perfectly. I simply re-sized and printed the images onto the tissue paper, wrapped and trimmed around the candles, and heated with a hair dryer until the wax melted enough to fuse the paper to the candle. It's like magic! Halloween magic!

I can see myself doing this again and again with a variety of images for myself and friends. I'm already coming up with Christmas gift ideas. Fun fun fun!










BWS tips button

18 comments:

That Crazy Ajumma said...

They turned out pretty awesome!
I have seen these done many years ago using rubber stamps on tissue paper.

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate said...

Oh these are fantastic! Sorry you're down with a cold. I suspect I'm coming down w/ one too. I have not tried printing directly on tissue paper...stamping yes. Thanks for the link to the tutorial. Again, these are BRILLIANT!

Lina Thomlinson said...

Thanks! And thanks for the tip about using stamps. I have a couple of Halloween stamps I bought on a whim but had no plans for what to do with them. I see more spooky candles in my future!

Sawdust Girl said...

Boy you've been busy this week! Love this idea!

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

I am impressed with your creativity, especially since you've been sick!! I don't get this much done when I'm sick. Impressive!

Chris said...

This is so awesome I can't wait to try it!!!

Unknown said...

Very neat! I'll have to try this. Thanks. Saw you on Sunday Showcase. Now I'm a follower.

Katie said...

LOVE this idea!!!

Tony said...

cute! and this would be easy to do for any holiday or season!

Kimra
crafty-cove.blogspot.com

Edlow said...

I have done this before with stamps and tissue paper. After i place my image where i want it on the candle, i cover it with a piece of wax paper and then heat it with a hair dryer or heat tool. the wax from the paper will transfer to the candle leaving the image not only stuch to the candle like glue, but also coated in wax as if the candle really came that way. It leaves a very finished look!

Bella @ Bella before and after said...

Wow girl, this is too much. All while being sick, this is a project, for me anyways, lol. Good going!!!! They turned out really good, and I love your little dishes. So cute. What a great idea, and heck yeah totally customizable. (is that a word) lol. Super excited that you linked up to **6 weeks 2 Spook** I really think it will be the BEST halloween Idea PARTY EVER!!! lol, THANK YOU!!!! Bella, oh and for disabling your word verification too, SUPER happy about that. And if some persian prince does try to leave you offers for marriage or something, send him my way, lol. Bella :)

Jami said...

These are so cute and I'll bet the tissue paper gives them a nice texture. I will have to try this!
Thanks for linking up!
xo
Jami

Lori@Paisley Passions said...

Those look GREAT! They look super expensive! Thanks for linking them up to Thrilling Thursday.

Lori@Paisley Passions said...

I am going to feature this FUN idea at Paisley Passions Thrilling Thursday this Thursday. Feel free to stop by and grab an "I Thrilled at Thrilling Thursday" featured button off my sidebar :) Thanks again for linking up!!!

Susie Buetow said...

Awesome girl! Thanks so much for sharing on my blog! Feel free to link up as many as you want!

Thanks! Susie

Halloween/Fall Ideas Link up http://goo.gl/36A6

FrouFrouBritches said...

That is fabulous! What a great idea. Love these! I'm totally going to try this.

Anonymous said...

These are so great! Thanks for linking them up!

Krista

Anonymous said...

I just featured your project! :) http://www.polishthestars.com/2010/10/reader-inspired.html