Thursday, October 14, 2010

Alien Invasion Silhouette Plate


This was meant to be an easy way to make one of those ubiquitous silhouette plates with a fun Halloween twist. Turned out to be not quite so easy. Not only did it take forever to cut out every little detail of the silhouette but my Mod Podge skills aren't exactly up to snuff. If you don't look too closely you won't see the smears of paste around the edges of the image and you'll hardly notice the wrinkles in the silhouette. I guess that in addition to the alien invasion the poor boy also suffers from premature aging. One of these days I'll figure out how to properly use that stuff.

Still, I'm more or less happy with the result. I was doing a late-night Google search looking for inspiration when I stumbled across the awesome silhouette of a boy with an alien creature bursting out of his mouth. That plus a Dollar Store black plate was all I needed. Well, a little photo cropping and editing also helped followed by a lot of time spent carefully cutting the darn thing out.

This is the final homemade element my Halloween mantle has been missing. Now it's just a matter of arranging everything nicely, waiting for the right light, and chasing the cats away so I can get a decent picture of the finished product. Yes, I am drawing the suspense out as long as possible here. Hope the final reveal is worth it!


13 comments:

C&C Cakery said...

This is boss. I really can't wait to see your mantle! (eat your heart out Martha!)

Chris said...

I love this!

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

"LOVE IT"... you have a fun blog that I am looking forward to exploring... I'm your newest FOLLOWER... I hope you will come over and take a peek at mine also and FOLLOW ME if you like...I LOVE COMPANY!!! and NEED NEW FOLLOWERS...
Have a wonderful day and weekend,
Donna

Jennifer Leigh said...

Oh my gosh this so creepy! It looks really cool!

TidyMom said...

What a fun idea!! Thanks for sharing!!
visiting from T&J

Anonymous said...

ah love this! new follower! Come link up sometime to Handmade Tuesdays! It is a new linky I started with a tutorial :)

www.ladybug-blessings.com

Unknown said...

So gross and SOOOOOO COOOL! My boys will get a kick out of this for sure. Thanks for sharing.

Sawdust Girl said...

Ahhh, that's so nasty...and awesome! So, you cut him out by hand? Old school, like myself. Glad I'm not the only one on the planet without a machine!

Sawdust Girl said...

Just spotlighted this post. Thanks for sharing and linking up!

:-) Sandra

Katie said...

LOVE this plate!!! Great job!

Jana said...

This is wonderful. I love your idea. I think it's perfect.

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

This cracks me up! Unusual and clever and well done.

Alexa said...

This is so freakin' creative!!