Wednesday, December 15, 2010

A Photo A Day and a Terrifying Encounter With Another Human Being

Day 108

Today's story exemplifies why I prefer to take most of my pictures in the privacy of my own home even though I'm rapidly running out of interesting things to shoot. I finally got up the nerve to leave the house and take a photograph in a public place and what happened? I was approached by the store's manager to ask what I was doing. Turns out the place was recently robbed so she thought I was either with the insurance company or scouting it out for another robbery. I did a piss poor job of explaining myself, mumbling something about a photography project and stopped just short of launching into a lengthy explanation of lens flare. To top it off I even referred to the Santa I was photographing as a snowman. Twice. That's how flustered I was. I'm so glad that at least one of the photos I took before she scared me off turned out to be usable. At least now, assuming I ever get the nerve up to photograph in public again, I've had some practice at how *not* to act when someone dares speak to me. Silly me.

I'm not sure if the editing I did on the photo has actually improved it but as it looked rather plain initially I added a little focal zoom thanks to Picnik, focusing in on Santa and his reindeer. Or are they snowmen?

Theme: lens flare

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You poor thing! I'd be flustered, too. Please don't stop, though. That is one quaint little store! I so wish I had pictures of the everyday activities, stores, malls, theaters from days gone by. Time flies, everything changes, and you will have all the photos to show that. Get out there!

Signe said...

Haha, such a fun story :)
And I always wondered what I would say if someone asked me something similar or just goes 'hey! It's illegal to take pictures here!'

Patty Patterson said...

Get a bigger camera and a longer lens.

I'm a professional photographer and carrying the right equipment can get you in almost anywhere. No one questions you if you just walk right past them with a DSLR body and at leat a 70-200mm f/2.8 lens.

Anonymous said...

I love the picture. Nice job. The focal zoom adds just a bit of fun to the picture. I was taking a picture of a flag flying in the sun the other day and it just so happened that a man in an army uniform came by. I kept snapping and I think it's neat that he's on the picture now.