Monday, January 24, 2011

Thin Mint Cupcakes


While I'm sure Thin Mint cupcake recipes have been out there on the internet for years I'm going to pretend I'm clever in coming up with my own version. For that reason, I didn't even bother Googling the subject for fear that my own creativity would be tainted by others' ideas. So if this has already been done I apologize for the repeat recipe. If it hasn't you can applaud me for my genius. :)

Girl Scout Cookie season is in full swing and I am both blessed and cursed to have my very own troop leader/cookie pusher on staff at work. My co-worker nicely brings in cases of cookies on the very first day of the sale and keeps restocking her supply until the very last day. As a result, I've got brightly colored boxes of all of Thin Mints, Caramel deLites, and Tagalongs/Peanut Butter Patties tantalizing me from across the room. Since I bake so much I'm usually able to resist going hog wild but I will buy a box of each of my favorites. While I love the flavors I'm always disappointed by how artificial and preservative-laden they taste when compared to freshly baked goods. One box of each is usually enough to tide me over until the following year.

Oddly, while I like chocolate and mint I don't get as excited about Thin Mints as most cookie customers seem to be. If they sold smaller portions I'd be happy with half a sleeve and then calling it quits for the year. But find a way to add cake and frosting to the mix and I'm game. Inspired by my Oreo truffle cupcakes I got to brainstorming how to incorporate Thin Mints into a cupcake and came up with a decadent, Thin Mint-laden creation.

As with the Oreo cupcakes, I lined the bottom of each cupcake with a cookie and whipped up a cream cheese cookie filling, only instead of Oreos I used Thin Mints. Paired with moist chocolate cake and topped with a a dollop of melted Andes mints and mint buttercream frosting the experience is like eating an overgrown Thin Mint. Mmmmm! Fortunately, nutritional information is not available so you don't have to feel guilty when you eat more than the suggested portion size as I always do with Girl Scout Cookies. There isn't a thing I'd change about these cupcakes and I have a feeling I'll be tempted to make then again this time next year.


Thin Mint Filling
Recipe adapted from Inside BruCrew Life

26 Thin Mint cookies, finely crushed (I used a food processor)
4 1/2 ounces cream cheese, softened

Blend crushed Thin Mints and cream cheese until fully mixed. Shape into 1" balls, place on a baking sheet, and refrigerate while making the batter.

Chocolate Cupcakes
Recipe adapted from Family, Stamping and Food

24 Thin Mint Cookies
2 cups flour
1 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup melted butter, cooled
2 eggs
1 cup milk
2 1/2 ounces Andes Creme de Menthe baking chips
1 tablespoon heavy cream

1) Preheat oven to 350 F. Line 24 cupcake wells with paper liners. Place a Thin Mint cookie in the bottom of each liner.
2) Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
3) Beat sugar and melted butter together on medium speed until well combined.
4) Add eggs and beat to combine.
5) Beginning with the flour mixture, add flour and milk alternately with three additions of flour and two additions of milk, beginning and ending with flour. Beat until just combined.
6) Fill cupcake liners 1/3 full with batter. Place Thin Mint truffle in the center of each and top with more batter until 2/3 full. Bake in preheated oven for 19-26 minutes or until tops of cupcakes spring back when lightly touched.
7) Cool in pan on rack for ten minutes, then remove from pan and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
8) While cupcakes are still warm, melt Andes baking chips and heavy cream in a saucepan over low heat until smooth. Spread a thin layer of chocolate on top of each cupcake.

Mint Buttercream
12 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 cups powdered sugar
3 tablespoons heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon peppermint oil
Green food coloring (optional)

1) In a large mixing bowl, cream butter for 45-60 seconds.
2) Add powdered sugar and beat until the mixture comes together.
3) Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add heavy cream, peppermint oil, and food coloring (if desired). Beat until combined and then beat an additional 45 seconds. If necessary, add more powdered sugar for desired consistency.






Photobucket

32 comments:

Lisa said...

Ooohhh, I'm lovin' your idea for cupcakes. That frosting is such a beautiful shade of green, my sister's favorite color. I recently discovered it's possible to make your own thin mints out of mint chocolate pieces and ritz crackers.

Marita Bliss said...

I wish I could bake! They sound delicious ♥

annies home said...

love thin mint cookies and I love the beauty of the cupcakes

Julie said...

Wow, this is definitely on my list!! I L.O.V.E. thin mints and dread this time of year because I just can't stay away from those little beauties!! I am a new follower and would love for you to follow me back at thefarmgirlrecipes.blogspot.com. Thanks!!

Bree said...

I'll admit - I'm too lazy to try out all your amazing recipes, but I wish I were your neighbor so I could be your taste-testing guinea pig. These sound simply delicious!

I notice you've got the weirdly named cookies, which ones are the Tagalongs? In Minnesota they have different names for all the cookies than they do here in Missouri, and I can never keep them straight. I know Tagalongs are one of the names they've got up North, but can't remember which "correct" name they are. :)

HoosierHomemade said...

Thanks so much for joining us at Cupcake Tuesday! Love chocolate and mint! Beautiful cupcakes!
~Liz

Christine said...

These look amazing! I love that you didn't google it, I have to do the same thing sometimes!! I am definitely booking-marking this recipe:)
Christine
greatoakcircle.com

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

Oh man, I love thin mint cookies! these look sooooo yummy!

Amanda Joy Petersen said...

Hopping over from Whipperberry. These look divine, now I just need to find a recipe for the Samoas and my two favorite cookies will have been transformed:)

sarah@homeismore said...

my thighs are going to really despise me after this- but those look too yummy not to make

Mari said...

I'm all about the cupcakes today!!!
Yummmmy

Fell free to drop in and share here too
http://choochmagooz.blogspot.com/2011/01/food-fight-friday-cupcakes-for-cancer.html

Emily Carter said...

You must be an evil genius! I think these might be worth breaking my diet for! Thanks for linking up!

Kitty Deschanel said...

These sound so yummy! I need to teach my Sexy Nerd how to bake :)

Unknown said...

These look amazing!!

Katie said...

Thank you so much for linking up to Katie's Cucina. I just wanted to let you know that I featured your cupcakes today!

http://katiescucina.blogspot.com/2011/01/monday-features_31.html

Jenny said...

As the mom of the top cookie seller in her troop I have plenty of Thin Mints coming my way. These look fantastic and are on my to make list now.

Bella @ Bella before and after said...

GIRL, how can you possibly keep finding the most perfect things to tease me with, lol. I LOVE think mints, and you know chocolate. Gosh if these don't look divine, then I don't know what to say.

Thanks again for supporting my blog, and linking up to **Amaze me August** I LOVE having you.

Come see your FEATURE in my new FEATURED SIDEBAR section, and make sure to grab a button!!!
This Weeks Top 10, in my new SIDEBAR FEATURE SECTION

Hugs,

Bella :)

Jennifer K said...

Thanks for following my blog! You should definitely try the honey bee cake, its chocolate overload!

Miriam said...

Ooo, how delicious! You can NEVER get enough thin mints, in ANY form :). MiriamMeatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Unknown said...

WOW!!! these sound and look WONDERFUL!!! Just what the TUMMY ordered and BEST!!! of all my family will LOVES!!! these.
Became a new follower, come by and visit I love visitors anytime.

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate said...

These look delicious! My husband will love these if he'll leave the Thin Mints alone long enough for me to ever make them!

Stacey said...

YUM!! I always eat more than the suggested serving size for thin mints. I *may* have been known to down an entire sleeve in a day! (or less!) aaachhhk! These look amazing!

Unknown said...

Oh, my hubby would love these!! We love thin mint ice cream... and these look equally dangerous! :)

Ellen Zames said...

I love thin mints!! I have to give this a try. YUM

Alli grins said...

These look so good! Anything with chocolate and mint is a winner!!!

Trisha @ The Sweet Survival said...

Wow those look so good! I love Thin Mints!

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know that I featured your cupcakes today! http://www.polishthestars.com/2011/02/link-party-monday.html

megan {homemade ginger} said...

I might have to make these. They look amazing!

By the way, I am hosting a giveaway right now that you might be interested in!

Candi said...

Those look AMAZING!!!

Jocelyn said...

Those look scrumptious...I was wondering about all the traffic to my oreo truffle cupcake site and realized it was from your link. Thank you so much for that link:-)

Julie said...

I will definitely have to try this version it is absolutely delicious! Thanks for letting me know!!

The Farm Girl

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh Lina! I want, no in fact, I *need* to try this out!!! I must say reading your blog is intimidating me a lot, wanting to do a little baking thing on mine every once in a while... Totally linking back to you for this, of course.

Thank you so much for sharing!