Saturday, April 30, 2011

Crème Brûlée French Toast


Today was my husband's birthday and even though he's not a fan of celebrating holidays I couldn't let this one pass by without spoiling him a little. What better way for him to begin his day than with some amazing French toast?

I like that the recipe called for everything to be prepared the night before so all I had to do this morning was pop it in the oven. That is, after I used my magical crystal ball to predict when he might awaken so it could be ready at the right time. I managed to peg it almost perfectly so the delicious smell from his birthday surprise was already wafting through the house.

The best part is that this concoction already had a nice layer of sugary goodness so maple syrup was not required. Not that that stopped my husband from pouring some on his. I let him get away with it because it's his birthday.


Crème Brûlée French Toast
Recipe from About.com


1 loaf Challah or Brioche Bread, sliced into 1 1/2-inch thick slices
1/2 cup Butter, unsalted (1 stick)
1 cup Brown Sugar, packed
2 tablespoons Corn Syrup
5 large Eggs
3/4 cup Heavy Cream
3/4 cup Milk
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1/4 teaspoon Salt
2 teaspoons Grand Marnier or Cointreau (I left this out and substituted a dash of orange extract)


Butter a 9 by 13 baking dish.

In a small pot, melt the butter with the brown sugar and corn syrup. Stir together until the sugar is completely melted. Pour mixture into the baking dish.

Place the bread slices on top of the butter and sugar mixture in one even layer. Squeeze the edges slightly to make the bread fit.

In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream, milk, vanilla, salt, and 2 teaspoons of Grand Marnier. Pour this mixture over the bread. Tightly cover baking dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.

Let dish stand at room temperature for 20 minutes before placing in preheated oven at 350 degrees.

Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until french toast is golden and puffed.

Serve hot, sugared side up with diced strawberries and powdered sugar, if desired.


3 comments:

bevkimmel said...

Sounds amazing. And I love breakfasts I can prepare the night before. My husband would love this too-with sausage on the side!

Bree said...

Wow, that sounds delicious! I'm definitely going to have to give this a try.

Happy birthday to your husband! I hope you two had a good day.

C&C Cakery said...

What a surprise! I love that this recipe can be prepared the night before - it certainly helps the recipe become a perfect, no-fuss breakfast that's still full of love. Bookmarking this recipe for when I need to make a special breakfast for a special someone :) Thanks for sharing!