Saturday, January 8, 2011

Chocolate Bottom Banana Bars


Looking for an alternative to plain old banana bread to use up those aged bananas? Look no further than these chocolate banana bars: a layer of chocolate banana batter on the bottom topped with a layer of banana cake, sprinkled with chocolate chips. These are delicious as is but next time I might try adding cinnamon to the plain banana cake layer and mixing extra chocolate chips into the batter. They'd also be tasty with chopped nuts. Easy, peasy recipe to whip up. Need I say more?

Chocolate Bottom Banana Bars
Recipe from Moogie & Pap

1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups mashed banana (about 3 medium bananas)
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup baking cocoa
1 cup chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease the bottom and sides of a 9 x 13-inch pan.

2. In mixing bowl, combine flour, soda, baking powder, and salt.

3. In a separate bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg, vanilla, and bananas, beating thoroughly.

4. Add flour mixture to butter mixture and beat until combined.

5. Divide batter in half. Add the cocoa to one portion of the batter. Spread that portion in the bottom of the pan. Spoon remaining batter on top, swirling gently with butter knife if desired, and sprinkle with chocolate chips.

6. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until batter tests done with a toothpick or fork. Cool and cut into squares.

2 comments:

Bella @ Bella before and after said...

Girl, tell me you don't actually make all these every time you post about something. How are you not like 500 pounds, who eats all of this, gosh, I am drooling every time I see your stuff, but for the life of me can't figure out, how to make it, SOMETIMES, and not want to eat it all, he he.

I actually do have old bananas I need to use up though, so maybe I'll try this, MAYBE,,, I am really trying to get back in the swing of things, ohhhh, it's still the weekend though, and I only planned on starting officially on MOnday, lol.

Thanks girl, for another yummy recipe. !!

Bree said...

These look SOOO good. My favorite way to eat banana bread is when it's baked with chocolate chips, then spread it with peanut butter, so I'd probably find a way to add a layer of it. :)