Saturday, July 24, 2010
What I needed was a super duper easy project for me to complete quickly because I've itching to get something done. I haven't touched my sewing machine since the July 4th weekend so I've been missing that feeling of accomplishment. Time to whip out my staple gun, which hasn't seen the light of day since I single-handedly insulated our attic, a time in my life I'd prefer to forget. That plus some fabric would be all I'd need to complete my next project. No sewing machine required for this one!
We got this iron outdoor table and chair set off of Craigslist after we bought a house and needed to start living like adults. We intended to use it as an indoor dining table since we're all about being unconventional and saving a few bucks. Plus we rarely eat at the table so we didn't need anything fancy for our needs. It was a little scuffed up from the start and its condition has only worsened while in our care but scratches and small spots of chipped paint don't bother me too much. It's the drab, mismatched, and discolored fabric covering the chair cushions that's bugged me the most.
I've idly kept an eye out online for dirt cheap clearance fabric to replace it but by the time fabric gets to that discount level only the truly hideous stuff is left. Although I don't think we'll hang on to this table forever I don't want it to be an eyesore while I still have to look at it. I gave in and bought some home decor weight fabric from Jo-Ann using a 50% off coupon. Yes, yes, I know I tentatively agreed to participate in The Great De-Stash Challenge over at The Train To Crazy but since I don't impulse buy home decor fabric I didn't already own anything suitable. At $5/yard it was still more than I'd wanted to pay but I'm so in love with the fabric that I'll take any excuse to buy more. I've used it before to make myself a spiffy bag for hauling my big camera, guide books, and maps around London last year and I was so pleased with the end result.
I don't imagine a tutorial is even required for this one. It was simply a matter of removing the old fabric, cutting the new fabric to the same dimensions, and stapling it in place. I started with a staple in the middle of each side, pulling as tightly as possible as I went along, and tucked the fabric at the corners in like I was wrapping a present. Et voilà! It's like a whole new dining set and all of it done in about 30 minutes! The fabric goes perfectly with the black iron and the swirling pattern of the table and chairs.
It's almost enough to make me want to repaint the table and chair frames as well. Almost...