Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Snickers Fudge


I scribbled the recipe down years ago after seeing it on some talk show and it's been a feature of our family Christmas for the better part of ten years. My little brother demands a fresh batch every year and I'm only too happy to oblige. It wouldn't be Christmas without our traditional tray of the stuff. All of the flavors of a Snickers bar are there but somehow they taste fresher, smoother, and better in this version. It's easy to make, produces enough to feed a crowd, and tastes divine.

My only change to the recipe is one I thought of last year after spending what felt like ages hacking away at the finished product trying to liberate the pieces from the pan. My first step is to line the pan with enough parchment paper to cover the bottom, sides, and jut over the top edges so I can lift the entire block of fudge out and cut it on a cutting board. Still not the easiest cutting process but it's easier to get leverage and I don't have to worry about scratching up my baking pan.

Next time you want to impress a crowd give this winner a try!

Snickers Fudge

Bottom Layer:
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1/4 cup butterscotch chips
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter


Combine the ingredients in a small saucepan; stir over low heat until melted and smooth. Line the bottom and sides of a 9 x 13 pan with parchment paper leaving some extra over the edge. Spread chocolate onto the bottom of the pan. Refrigerate until set.

Filling:
1/4 cup butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups marshmallow creme/marshmallow fluff
1/4 cup peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups chopped salted peanuts


Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Add sugar and milk. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in the marshmallow creme, peanut butter and vanilla extract. Add peanuts. Spread over first layer. Refrigerate until set.

Caramel Layer:
1 14 ounce package caramels
1/4 cup whipping cream


Combine caramels and cream in a saucepan; stir over low heat until melted and smooth. Spread over the filling. Refrigerate until set.

Top Layer:
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1/4 cup butterscotch chips
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter


In a saucepan, combine chips and peanut butter; stir over low heat until melted and smooth. Pour over the caramel layer. Refrigerate for at least one hour.

Lift entire piece of fudge out of the pan using the parcdment paper. Remove paper and place fudge onto a large cutting board. Cut into 1-inch squares. Store in the refrigerator.


Photobucket

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're KILLING me!

Candi said...

That looks fabulous!!! Love it!

Brandi said...

my mouth is watering!!! looks delicious!

laylablue said...

good thing my husband doesn't read blogs!
he might try to be your 2nd husband (jk)

i will march my tush to the store for the ingredients and make this for our final "christmas" celebration with my parents.
thanks for sharing.

Jami said...

I agree with laylablue
...except I cannot promise I will bake it yet. My jeans are pretty mad about me already about this last week. If I try to stuff any more into them, I fear they will give out on me altogether! ;)