Saturday, July 23, 2011

Style Stitches Sew Along: Key Keeper Coin Purse


Whoo hoo! I finally sewed something again! I can't explain my reluctance to hunker down with the sewing machine for the past few months but it was nice that this month's sew along project was a simple one to help me ease my way back in. Even better that I had a friend's birthday coming up and needed something to give her as a gift. Perfect timing.

I'm going to jump right in and start bitching about the pattern. I officially hate the way the book has us sew zippers. HATE. I made five of the Origami Bags and could never get it right. I assumed this was simply due to a lack of skill on my part but after reading others' reviews about their frustrations I plan to give up on this method for good. The ends don't look nearly as neat and tidy as they did in the zippered pouches I made from Noodlehead's free pattern. That pattern uses pretty little tabs on each end of the zipper and I much prefer that method and the finished look. Next time I shall give that a try instead. Bree from My Crafty Crap (hosting the sew along) did that with her coin purse and I think it looks perfect. She's planning to post a tutorial about how to do it once she gets a few other items off of her to-do list. Like, you know, giving birth to her first baby. I guess everyone has her own priorities. :P


Rant over, I have to admit that this is a cute little bag that sews together quickly. I hope to make one for myself since I can always use more pouches to organize the junk that keeps accumulating in my purse. I'm glad I'm back in the saddle again when it comes to sewing because I did miss the process and the satisfaction that comes with creating something.

The best part is the bag is the perfect size for storing those extra eyeballs we all have lying around the house. I'm sure that alone convinces you that you need to make one for yourself.




amybutler-button2

3 comments:

bevkimmel said...

Hey, I have a friend who does need a couple of these for herself and her daughter's eyeballs! But I think I'll let her decide what to do with them!

Bree said...

Well, it's about time! ;)

I totally hear you on the zipper thing, I hope the other method works well for you. It makes the opening a little smaller, which is tough on small projects like this, but it's still easier & nicer than the method on the book.

I really need to get my priorities straightened out, eh? :)

Anonymous said...

LOL! that really is a cute little bag, handy to have I think. but me and sewing just don't mix. so I will leave that to you!