Monday, February 14, 2011

Strawberry Milk Cake


When I saw a recipe for strawberry milk cake at The Kitchn I was so excited. My Valentine's Day baking plans were still up in the air and I immediately thought this would be the perfect Valentine's Day treat for my strawberry-loving husband. I'm disappointed that despite the use of artificially flavored strawberry milk the cake doesn't actually taste like strawberries. Sure, there's an adorable pink hue to the cake but that's partially thanks to the red food coloring I added because with the milk alone the color didn't seem strong enough. The cake isn't bad but it's just not what I was hoping to give to my husband for Valentine's Day. I think because of that I'm more upset about this baking failure than I usually would be. So frustrating. I wish people would be more honest when posting recipes online.


I skipped the frosting recipe they included in favor of a strawberry buttercream and malted chocolate filling. I guess I should be glad I did so there's some strawberry flavor to be found in the dessert.


Strawberry Milk Cake
Recipe adapted from The Kitchn

2 eggs
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup scalded strawberry milk
1/4 cup unsalted butter
Red food coloring (optional)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and grease two cake pans, set aside. Beat the eggs, vanilla and sugar until fully combined (I used a whisk). In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add flour to egg mixture, mixing until just combined. In a small sauce pan, heat milk until almost boiling (there will be some steam and a few small bubbles on the side of the pan), add butter and turn off heat, stirring until butter is fully melted. Pour scalded milk/butter into the batter, add red food coloring (if desired), and stir until combined. Divide evenly into prepared pans and bake for 20-30 minutes, until done. Let cool completely in pans on wire rack.


Malted Chocolate Filling
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon malted milk powder
1 1/2 tablespoons chocolate ice cream topping
1 cup powdered sugar
1 to 2 tablespoons milk

In a mixing bowl, cream butter for one minute. Add malted milk powder, chocolate topping, and powdered sugar. Beat at medium speed until combined. Gradually add milk until desired consistency is reached. Spread onto bottom layer of cake. Top with other layer of cake.


Strawberry Frosting
12 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 tablespoons pureed strawberries
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar

In a mixing bowl, cream butter for one minute. Add strawberries, vanilla, and powdered sugar. Beat at medium speed until combined.

2 comments:

Bree said...

What a bummer, especially since it was for a special occasion!

Strange question, but are those Necco candies used to decorate?

Lisa said...

Too bad that your cake didn't come out the way you wanted. At any rate, it still looks very pretty.